Monday 16 November 2009

Married Pastime


I have had a lovely weekend - on Saturday, we dropped both our kids off at noon to play with friends until 6:30. Woo-Hoo ! Free adult time with each other !

So, because DH can be a real honey, he took me to Felixstowe because I needed some buttons from Fabric8; while we were there, I got some wadding and some fleece for the cot quilt I shall be making. Some darning wool for my neighbor, and a pack of shiny, glittery bits for DD to do 'making' with completed my haul.

We popped into a church sale and got a baby cardigan to add to the pile for my BIL and SIL, who I am expecting to see this Friday, plus a couple of dolly outfits for DD's Xmas stash.

It was blowing a hooley, so we got a coffee and an cornish pasty and drove down to the sea front; the rain had started, and was coming in from the sea horizontally, and hard. It was fabulous, even if it was a seriously sad, married, middle-aged thing to do.

Also over the weekend, I have finished the baby hoodie I so dislike; I disliked it so much I knitted a whole 'nother baby sweater (the one I needed the buttons for) last week rather than sew the seams of the hoodie. Here they are:
















Both from Patons Book 2990; the hoodie is 'Frankie', the cardigan is 'Bonnie' (with a star motif that doesn't show on the photo because of the yarn)








I have been searching for a simple baby hat pattern for two needles (as opposed to DPNs or circulars), but wasn't able to find exactly what I wanted. So here I am proud to present my first ever pattern that I did myself, for a simple baby hat for 0-3 months using Moss Stitch; it switches to stocking stitch during, as moss stitch and decreases look ugly, to me.

Yarn: DK (I used James C.Brett Harmony DK in multi, to match the cardi above)
Needles: 3.25mm and 4mm straight needles

With 3.25mm needles, cast on 67 stitches.

Row 1: K1 * P1, K1; rep from * to end
Row 2: P1 *K1, P1; rep from * to end

These two rows set up single rib; continue for another 4 rows (6 rows rib in total)

Change to 4mm. needles
Knit 1 row, inc. 3 stitches evenly spaced (70 st)

Row 1(WS): (K1, P1) til end
Row 2 (RS): (P1, K1) til end
These two rows set up Moss Stitch pattern. Continue until 8 cm (3 1/4 ins) from beginning, finishing with RS facing.

Changing to stocking stitch, knit 1 row decreasing 6 st evenly spaced (64 st)
Purl 1 row.

Decrease for crown:
Row 1 (RS):
*K6, K2tog; rep from * til end (56 st)
Row 3 (RS): *K5, K2tog; rep from * til end (48 st)
Even Rows from 2 to 14 (WS): Purl
Row 5: *K4, K2tog; rep from * til end (40 st)
Row 7: *K3, K2tog; rep from * til end (32 st)
Row 9: *K2, K2tog; rep from * til end (24 st)
Row 11: *K1, K2tog; rep from * til end (16 st)
Row 13: K2tog across (8 st)

Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. Thread a needle with the yarn tail, then pass needle through remaining 8 sts and remove sts from knitting needle. Pull tightly to close top of hat. Turn hat so wrong side is facing, and join seam. Weave in ends on WS.

I could not have done my pattern without the mathematical guidance of this pattern , for which I'd like to thank the creator, Jennifer Brown. I believe I have written my pattern pretty much as I knitted it, but if anyone has suggestions for improvement, finds glaring mistakes (or even minor ones) , please let me know.

Finished hat:

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the hat and the cardigan are just wonderful! But I must admit I think the hoodie is just as lovely :-/?! It looks great, anyhow.

    Take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL thank you so much, Lena :-) I hope they like it too ! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks ! I love comments :-)