Saturday 28 April 2012

3KCBWDAY6: Improving Your Skillset

Crystal Vision Tarot










Improving Your Skillset

How far down the road to learning your craft do you believe yourself to be ? Are you comfortable with what you know or are you always striving to learn new skills and add to your knowledge base ? Take a look at a few knitting or crochet books and have a look at some of the skills mentioned in the patterns. Can you start your amigurumi pieces with a magic circle, have you ever tried double knitting, how's your intarsia ? If you are feeling brave, make a list of some of the skills you have not yet tried but would like to have a go at, and perhaps even set yourself a deadline of when you'd like to have tried them by.


I had a quick look at last year's KCBW post about this topic, to see if I'd set myself any targets. I've actually achieved  two of them, I was surprised to discover: I've learned to read lace charts, and I've made a lace shawl (actually, 9 shawls). The Starflower Estonian Lace Baby Blanket remains unknitted, as does anything from the 'Victorian Lace Today' book.

Instead, the unanticipated new thing I tried was intarsia:



And I shan't be bothering again, as for me, the results do not justify the hassles.

For next year, I have decided I have no goals or targets as far as learning new skills goes: knitting is a pastime I use for enjoyment and relaxation, and as such, is not the place for targets and goals of improvement, even if self-imposed. I don't enjoy the words 'must', 'should' and 'ought' in my hobbies.

If I want to make something, and it involves learning a new skill or two, then I will learn the new skill; but I shall not be trying to learn something just for learning's sake. Yes, not my usual attitude to learning, and I am feeling somewhat mardy, how did you guess ?

There are far more sunny posts to be found by Googling 3KCBWDAY6 ....



5 comments:

  1. Hey, that's fair! It is *your* hobby, after all.

    P.S. - There's something weird happening in Blogger - one of your comments this week went to my spam folder, and I have no idea why. I've rectified the situation, but there were two different comments in there. I never look in my spam folder, so I have no idea what gremlin this is. But it's published now, so if you didn't see a previous comment, that's the reason why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree with your outlook. By my standards you are a very accomplished expert knitter, and I greatly admire your skills. I think more important than simply learning new techniques just to know them, is that we not be afraid of trying new techniques when they will be useful to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a Thunderbirds jumper for my son when he was about four years old. I found the intarsia bit such a faff I undid the damn thing, re-knit it and embroidered the picture instead :/ I work with some techniques better than others, and intarsia's not one of the better ones lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally with you on the intarsia and I think you should craft only on your own terms. Also, thanks for the new word (though I don't think I can get away with using it around here without earning a lot of blank stares) and thanks for inspiring me to do KCBW this year; I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks ! I love comments :-)