Wednesday 9 January 2013

WIP Wednesday 126: False Advertizing

Tarot of Durer










I am terribly sorry to have misled you by tagging this as a WIP Wednesday post, although I did warn you in the title. You see, it should have been, if things had gone as they were meant to. But they did not. As the inscription from Accius on today's card from the Tarot of Durer warns us, ''there are many snares for the good'', and I have apparently fallen into one.

Some while back I bought the Sugared Violets Shawl pattern, to go with the pretty Artesano Hummingbird 4ply I found. You'll remember the yarn and pattern hated each other like cats hate water:


Yucksville Central

 No matter, I had some different purple yarn hanging around, and this time I've read loads of the comments people have made about the pattern, which set some alarm bells off, but hey, I'm stubborn and I already paid for the pattern.





Well, I got to within about 30 or 40 stitches of the end, when I ran out of yarn. And this was in spite of altering the pattern to be shorter. On top of that, I really didn't like the overall look - it was too shallow and too long. It was unfixable. So I frogged it.

450m is just right for a decent size shawl, so I thought I'd do the Summer Flies Shawl again: it is so pretty, and I really liked making my last one:




This time, in addition to thetanull's modifications to make it larger, I was feeling a little adventurous, so I changed the ruffled edge to the lace version in 'My Version of Summer Flies'. Things seemed to be zipping along quite nicely, thank you, until about 11pm last night, when I realized I totally didn't like the juxtaposition of the knotted openwork section with the arrow lace of the modification, and on top of that, everything looked a little too ... crowded ... somehow.

Here is the result:




Not to worry. It will sit peacefully in a Time Out while I go do something else: I have the yarn and patterns for the first 3 or 4 items in my Ravelry queue, so all I have to do is pick  ....

Pop over and see more encouraging starts to the New Year at Tami's Amis ....



4 comments:

  1. Oh no, ripped shawls left right and centre. I'm sure you will find the right pattern next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry things are working out. I hope this is a temporary thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a lot of it about. I was cracking along nicely with the sleeves on the cardi I'm making until I realised I'd misread the pattern and was only doing increases every 10cm instead of 3.5cm - had to rip back a good 6" or more of tedious st.st :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you about the frog pond, but if you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks ! I love comments :-)