Saturday 2 April 2011

Something to AspireTo 2KCBWDAY6



Something to aspire to 2KCBWDAY6

Is there a pattern or skill that you don’t yet feel ready to tackle but which you hope to (or think you can only dream of) tackling in the future, near or distant? Is there a skill or project that makes your mind boggle at the sheer time, dedication and mastery of the craft? Maybe the skill or pattern is one that you don’t even personally want to make but can stand back and admire those that do. Maybe it is something you think you will never be bothered to actually make but can admire the result of those that have.



For Christmas last year, my good friend Ania gifted me a pattern she thought I might like. It is somewhat of a Greek gift, however: she had purposefully attached some strings - boo, hiss. It is the Starflower Estonian Lace Baby Blanket by Hazel Roots.

Thanks to DH's Xmas guilt, I have a marvellous yarn that I think will really suit the pattern:

Araucania Ranco Multi, 3 skeins from Twist in Woodbridge.

However (you knew there'd be a fly in the perfect ointment, didn't you ?) this pattern means that I will have to learn some new things. Yes, that's right, that was the plural: things. I do appreciate Ania's confidence that I can learn more than one thing at a time, but I am not convinced ....

I will have to learn a provisional cast on and grafting; these seem minor in comparison to what has really been holding me back as far as making this pattern goes: it is charted. I keep telling myself it is no different than learning musical notation, it is merely symbols instead of words: and as a tarot reader, you would be entitled to think that maybe this whole concept would come a little easier to me ....

My only other aims this year are to knit something from the 'Victorian Lace Today' book and/or a lace shawl.

13 comments:

  1. I am at a loss. What strings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ania, having to learn at least 3 new things ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it. I know you can lol YAY for pep talks XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you really don't get on with charts, and some people don't you can always write out the instructions for each row. I know it's time consuming but if you hate the chart after trying it, it might be the best option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, I mentioned that book in my post today, too :-)

    Charts look really hard at first but once you learn, it's not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it! One row at a time. Maybe make a list or chart of the commonly used symbols and have it right by the chart or on a paper that you would use to reveal the pattern's line by line?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful blanket, and will look perfect in that yarn! As for the new skills, just take them one step at a time :) You don't have to do it all at once, and I know you can do it! Others have given you some great tips, so I have nothing to add on that front. Though I will say that once you understand charts, you may just end up dreading written instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charts take some getting used to, but I now find them easier to follow than written instructions for some things, like lace. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing you can't handle (not being an old dog) :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just take it one step at a time, write out the pattern if you have to, and always remember that we'll be here to cheer you on every.step.of.the.way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honestly, charts are not so bad! I hated them for ages, but I prefer them to written instructions now. I find putting a post-it note (or magnetic chart keeper) under the line I'm working on helps me to keep focussed. Also, if you're doing a complicated lace pattern, use life lines!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with everyone else - you can doooo eeeeetttt! Of course, I have my own hurdles ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go for it! Charts aren't so bad, nor is the provisional cast-on. Do follow the advise of A Girl in Winter and use a system for keeping track of the lines on the chart.

    Grafting can be tricky: Try TechKnitter for tutorials if you have any trouble.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks ! I love comments :-)