Wednesday 24 October 2012

WIP Wednesday 116: Black and Blue

Tarot of the World Spirit











So Bloody Vlad has been washed, blocked and dried ready for the big reveal on Friday; and just before I started ripping my eyelashes out one by one from sheer boredom, my friend Dianne alerted me that  Emily Ross aka knitterain was looking for test knitters for a new shawl she's designed.

I moseyed around some and discovered that she is the designer of some other shawls that I have admired from afar: mainly Haruni, and Romanesque, which has been in my queue for some while now.

So I leaped at the chance to test knit her new design; I had intended using my lovely purple Artesano, but I think it would have run a little short. Fortunately, I had this in my stash:


 100 grams, 420 metres/459 yards of slightly rough, slightly fuzzy 4ply sock yarn in a bluey-black colorway (apparently called 'Denim'): Rico Superba 'Poems'. It can be a little tricky to tink back - especially the dark and/or black parts, at night, when it's a complete row of nearly 300 stitches. You don't have to ask me how I know, you have already worked out how I know, haven't you ?

 Anyway. 

In between Mini Diva's Victorian Sharing Day (I never knew Tiddlywinks was such a difficult game) and Destructo Boy's Savannah Sharing Day (learning to play djembe drums and drawing a jungly lion), I have reached Row 11 of Chart D. I have 14 grams, 10 rows and an I-cord bind off to go. I can feel my comfort zone imploding at the mere thought of this I-cord bind off, so like any good ostrich I am pretending it doesn't exist until I actually arrive at it.




Of course, since I'm using straight needles it looks like a mushy lump of inky bruises right now; but I am rather chuffed with the photo.

Pop on over to Tami's Amis for more yarny loveliness ....


9 comments:

  1. Oh that looks great! The colors are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks EPIC. AS usual. Akshully, it's not knitting how I imagined it would when I looked at the ball. I didn't see the pale sections. You're too bloody clever by far. :-D

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, pretty! I have a hard time knitting with the slightly rough stuff, unfortunately. Makes my hands itch like crazy the entire time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't expect that yarn to knit up the way it seems to be. I love the combination of black and blue together. I think this is going to look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photos are great. I love the way the shawl is coming out, it's very dramatic. By the way my other half plays a djembe, they make an amazing noise. It's so amazing he plays downstairs in the passageway between the house and the garage so he doesn't annoy the neighbours! I have heard that the noise made by his group when they play in the church hall is astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am liking how that shawl is working up. That colorway is very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I've been admiring Haruni for sometime, so I can't wait to see the new design!
    I totally suck at Tiddlywinks - nothing like a children's game to make me feel completely incompetent.
    As for the iCord bind-off ... head in the sand until you have to face it :) It's not that bad once you get on a roll, although it does take a TON of yarn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks ! I love comments :-)