Friday 26 July 2013

FO Friday 148: Colorful Chores

Spiral Tarot












School was finally out for summer on Tuesday. I spent Wednesday blitzing the house and laundry; the kids did an excellent job of mucking out their rooms (I am not ashamed to admit that bribery was key in getting this done). Thursday I spent in the sauna created by lots of steam ironing, rewarded by a trip to the library, and Friday involved a treat trip to Morrisons' bakery department - I have a thing about their 'secret centre' muffins, especially the lemon variety. It is hot and sunny, we have stayed up late and got up late. I love it.

And with all the ooky chores about done (in spite of the couple of thunderstorms, the ground is still too hard and dry to weed, don't you think ? Yes, I thought so too), today I have a job that I am looking forward to:





This is my stash of fat quarters. I was just going to put them into tidier piles and put them back into the shoe  storage boxes. However, Mini Diva has informed me that I have no taste whatsoever, and that she will be in charge of putting them into some kind of color family order, and some may simply have to go, as what was I thinking even buying that color ?!

Speaking of what was I thinking (answer: nothing, of course) I was privately gloating recently over a score of Malabrigo Lace at a superb price from someone's destash. On my monitor, it looked blue, and the colorway is called 'Sky' - so I snapped it up, knowing what fabulously soft and amazing yarn Malabrigo is, after making this shawl in the 'Jewel' colorway a couple of years ago:


Waves of Leaves Shawl, 2011

This is what arrived:




The colorway name 'Sky' must have been referring to an overcast winter sky. In remotest Scotland. On the coldest day of the year, just before a nasty freezing sleet starts to soak you from above. Gray is simply one of those colors that is too subtle and classy for me to fully appreciate as it no doubt deserves.

So wasn't it lucky that in the same destash I also obtained this ?

 


I can totally see why these yarns were in a destash ! For the same but different/opposing color reasons, if you see what I mean.

Perhaps Mini Diva may have a point about my taste ..... so go and see some lovely examples over at Tami's Amis.



13 comments:

  1. Yay, if Mini Diva actually takes on chores by choice, that is a definite score!

    As to the colours, while I appreciate grey, I don't like to wear it. Surely, though, you have some deserving family member who would be delighted with it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Chloe, you are so right ! There must be at least one person who has annoyed me :-D

      Delete
  2. Why don't you combine it with another colour? It would make a suitably drab background to show off the feathers of a Dreambird shawl doncha think?
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dreambird-kal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have the 'drab' yarn for that, I need the orange variegated Kauni yarn to go with :)

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't have expected gray if the tag said sky, that said I don't mind that shade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the sky here is pretty gray today:) Sometimes those color surprises are more of a shock than a surprise:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the yarn is pretty but when I hear sky I picture blue with some white and maybe a hint of pink for the sunrise. That should be called stormy sky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Over dye? You could use a blue dye on the grey and a red on the orange? As for me, I love them both! And if they yarn compared would even use them together. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a whore for gray. If you want to get rid of it, I'll buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to Malabrigo's site and see that the colorway is SFO SKY. I guess that's supposted to be San Francisco International Airport Sky? Hmmmph, I think I'm very insulted on behalf of San Francisco. Anyone know our skies are not grey, they're a lovely fluffy white. "Sky" and "Typing Paper" would be more synonomous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that grey is lovely actually, but the orange is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greys and browns are some of my very favorite colors especially to wear. Those two color would also look amazing together in some sort of stripey shawl.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks ! I love comments :-)